Let’s Make Paleo Mac and Cheese
Thanks to Brandi Mackenzie for submitting this mouth-watering recipe. Brandi created a healing system after repairing her own body from Crohn’s disease, and offers lifestyle and nutrition guidance and coaching through her blog, BrandiMackenzie.com.
- 1/4 Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil (refined, does not taste like coconut)
- 1/2 pound (approximately 3) Chicken Thighs
- Herbamare seasoning blend, optional
- 1 cup raw Cashews or Cashew Pieces
- 1/4 cup Avocado Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper, ground
- Up to 1 cup Water, divided
- 2 small Zucchini, spiralized or made into noodles with a julienne peeler*
- 1/2 head Lacinato Kale (4 large or 6 small leaves), de-stemmed and chiffonade
*substitute 1 1/2 cups cooked Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Noodles for gluten-free non-Paleo version
- Place coconut oil into medium saute pan and bring to medium heat. Add chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken with Herbamare, as desired. Be sure to use full amount of oil, this creates a traditional cheesy texture in the end!
- Cook chicken until lightly browned on bottom. Flip and cook until firm and opaque, with light brown on both sides. Remove from pan to let cool then shred.
- While chicken cooks, create your sauce. Place cashews into food processor. Process until a flour forms. Add oil and milk, and process until creamy but thick.
- Add spices and process to fully combine. Taste and adjust any seasoning as needed. Add 1/4 cup of water to thin sauce. Keep the rest of water for later steps.
- Once chicken is fully cooked and removed from pan, add zucchini noodles to pan. Cook until just tender, only a few minutes.*
- Add kale to pan with zucchini. Cook until bright green but tender, just a minute or two.
- Place shredded chicken in pan with vegetables, then top with sauce. Stir with spatula to incorporate all ingredients and cover evenly with sauce.
- Add water, in small amounts, as needed to thin sauce and help bring dish together.
- Serve immediately or store, refrigerated, in airtight, glass container for up to 4 days.
*If using rice pasta, cook kale in pan once chicken is done. Add shredded chicken, cooked pasta and sauce to pan and thin with water as mentioned.